Local legend says that the name dates from Saxon times when seven local kings met at a cool, clear stream (Loxford Waters) in the forest which covered the area on land owned by Barking Abbey. Out for a day's hunting, these 'kings', or regional overlords, let their horses drink and then moved on, leaving the name Seven Kings behind them. Some say they made a treaty there.
The earliest use of the name dates from Saxon times (550 - 1066 AD) and is as Sevekyngg or Sevekynggeswhich was first recorded in 1285 AD, meaning 'settlement of the family or followers of a man called Seofoca', so this also may have a bearing on things. By 1456 AD the name had become Sevyn Kings. Seven Kings was a rural settlement situated next to the ancient Roman road between London and Colchester and was rapidly developed during the 19th Century with the construction of the Great Eastern main line railway.
In the late 1890s a Scot, Cameron Corbett, dreamt of building a peoples suburb there. He began building houses at prices ordinary workers in London could afford, and it wasn't long before 10,000 people had moved into the district. Cameron Road is named after him. A large part of the work force used to construct the town at this time was made up from demobilized soldiers that had returned from fighting after the Boer war in south Africa had ended
Corbett, later made Baron Rowallen, encouraged the building of a railway station to serve the area by guaranteeing the Great Eastern Railway that it would take £10,000 in fares in the first five years after Seven Kings station was opened, or he would personally pay the difference. Takings well exceeded that figure